This modular ‘skin’ system transforms the row house into an energy neutral unit. Integrated in this ‘skin’ system are innovative interventions ranging from basic passive solutions – insulating the house, adding a greenhouse – to extremely advanced technological add-ons – heat recovery systems, solar panels and PCMs. Designs for ‘a home with a skin’ use standardized parts as well as customized solutions.
- Toolbox for the sustainable transformation of existing row houses into energy efficient homes
- Tools proposed are:
- a thermal insulation and heat recovery unit
- a greenhouse that functions as a garden and is used for heating purposes
- photovoltaic modules on the roof to generate enough energy for operating all systems.
- Inhabitants, private owners and housing corporations which own or manage (post-war) row houses
- Immediate target group: 1.4 million Dutch homes, expand to include millions of row houses in other countries